Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Where is the spring cusp?

THIS IS HOW MY BACKYARD DOES NOT LOOK TODAY.....I AM LONGING FOR A SWIM....IT JUST DOESN'T WORK THAT WELL IN THE SNOW. I NEVER GET A MOUTH FULL OF WATER THIS TIME OF YEAR,THOUGH THE DIVING IS DANGEROUS. I FEAR IF IT KEEPS SNOWING I WILL NEVER PULL THE COVER OFF THE POOL!




March 10, 2009
Tuesday

During the day I felt the beaming sun and thought for sure I would enjoy a nice run on the road tonite. Turns out, I just felt the cold ripping right to the bone as I climbed out of the truck and headed inside to see what the timing schedule was for supper tonight. I never know what my wife has planned and usually gear my runs around her effort. It's only fair!

I just couldn't convince my bones to suit up and head outside so I went down to the treadmill for a run. My legs were still quite tired from Sundays long snowshoe treck so the treadmill was actually a good option.

I opted for a tempo run instead of speed work tonite and just let my brain wander as I popped off an easy 5k. I thought about my training and how my body felt this year. I am running more miles but definately a lot slower pace.

I find myself questioning my training and being in no mans land I suppose with good reason. I don't know how to train for a 50k, though I did learn a lot with the pineland 25K and the Bradbury 12 miler.

I also have the great advice and wisdom from the TrailMonsters and that has helped a lot. I wish my schedule allowed a few more runs with them as their knowlege seems to spill out all over the place.

My focus is on fueling and distance stamina, hence the long runs like last Sunday. My fueling seemed to go well and after 3 hours, I suspect I am doing it somewhat right.

So, now I have to continue to let speed take a back burner to long runs. It sounds easy to say yet it is quite hard to do. In February I ran over 94 miles which is a distance record for me in the winter. This type of milage combined with the core workouts should help me accopmplish a finish at the 50k.

Tuesday:
3.1 mile tempo 5% grade 4 speed
27:34 splits: 9:15, 8:53, 7:20 (6:19K)

1 mile hill walk 10% grade 3 speed.
Total miles 4.1

2 comments:

Dan said...

Kevin
I've never longer than 26.2 but I think getting time on your feet and learning what to eat and drink on the run are most important when training for your first ultra. As strange as it sounds, learning how to use run/walk intervals is key as well.

pathfinder said...

Yes, the walk/run is something I have been training on the long trail runs.

I made the mistake at the 25K of only training to run and when 10 miles came and I had run at too fast a pace, I was forced by fatigue and cramped muscles to walk some.

The walking actually worked against me as I cramped the walking muscles because of the lack of walking training.

needless to say, I gained no relief by walking and came dangerously close to not finishing that race.

For the Bradbury 12 miler which was much more technical than the pineland race I did train walking and was able to finish strong but at a slower overall pace.

I am excited yet reserved and anxious about the 50K it is only 2 months away.