Thursday, May 22, 2008

Am I Crazy?

5/22/08
Thursday.

This may be premature and probably crazy, but I am contemplating the possibility of running the 50K next year. Assumming I do well at the 25k that is. I am not sure I have it in me as the training is time intensive.....but I just NEED a cowbell...what can I say.

I wish the 25k would give out something...maybe a little tiny bell...you know like a miniature cowbell? Just to get us short distance runners a kick in the butt.

I am not sure what is drawing me to this type of running as I have always thought speed..speed...speed in the past and longer distance, though some are speedy at it, is a lot slower in comparison.

Besides the fact that I enjoy running off road, My initial reason for running the 25k was a way to train better for my 10K races. I wanted to try and PR this year in the LL Bean 10K, The pat's 5 miler and the Beach to Beacon. My road training always seem to lead me into to overtraining injuries.... I thought the longer trail running would be a good approach to combat that.

As luck has it, I do have an injury right now from running track...not the cross country.....Perhaps I just push too far in track? Perhaps I don't really need the speed workout. I didn't run track in 2002 and 2003 which is when I accomplished most of my PR's. Including a great PR in the half marathon.

I guess I will see how I feel after the 25K.....if I am still walking ... I suspect it will be tough!

So why was it I wanted to run the 50K? I don't know, I have only run one Marathon up till now ......so maybe I don't know what I am getting myself into... Maybe I am crazy after all.

1 comment:

Blaine Moore said...

I assumed that I would never run further than the marathon until last Summer when I started training with the Trail Monsters (who put the Pineland race on) and got introduced to their 50- and 100-mile race stories. Since I had spent most of the Summer building up strength on the trails, and I felt I was in shape for 2 marathons last Autumn, I decided last minute (well, about a month ahead of time) to jump into a 50k in New Hampshire.

It was a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to running another one, and to moving up to a 50 miler at some point in the next year or so.