Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Wife Is A Runner!

3/31/09
Tuesday

Today was exciting.....it was my wife's first run (other than running a mile in her workout group a few times). That is right, we went out last Friday and bought running shoes along with a bunch of running attire. She has said so many times that she wishes she could run but she is just not a runner.

I disagreed with her many times as anyone can be a runner. One day I was talking about signing one of the kids up for a race and she comented that I never think of signing her up.

What! She thinks I need to hear that twice.....I sat down on March 15th and signed her up for the Beach to beacon. HAHA....she was so surprised. Honestly I wasn't sure how she would take it, but she liked the idea and we started planning her new excercise routine.....running.

So last night was the big event. When I arrived home, she already had her new running shoes on (to break them in a bit) and we suited up for the run. I reminded her that time was not an issue and neither was constant running. Walking at her desire was acceptable.

I decided on two miles as a good starting distance and off we went. It was great!
I took a video while running and we traveled 8 tenths of a mile about halfway up the first hill before we walked.

We walked to the crest and started running again. After the first mile we hit the second hill and walked that. At the crest of the hill it was no problem getting her to start running again.

It was really fun and I think she enjoyed it. The two miles went by so fast. We walked a bit and headed home. She did some stretches and I could tell she felt good about the run. I am pretty excited and I think this will be a great thing for her.






SHEILA RUNNING




A short video.


Total miles 2
25:01 12:30 pace
running pace average 11:10

5 comments:

Dan said...

BRAVO!! Welcome to the wonderful world of running Mrs. Pathfinder.

Sparkplug said...

Pathfinder, that is great! How wonderful to introduce something you love to someone you love. Good for you, and your wife! Hope she has fun out there :-)

Tim Doiron a.k.a "Derv" said...

Great post, I tried to register for the beach to beacon but when I signed on at 4 PM the race was sold out. I grew up in Maine, now I am living in exile in MA.

Two said...

So awesome! It was one of the proudest moments of my life when my Mom was inspired by my running in college, and asked if I 'teach her how to be a runner'. A bunch of weeks later she ran the local Tufts 5k for women race, it was SO cool. (I also got to meet "Joanie" as she was the guest of honor - that was pretty cool, too). It is just like our Ultra Running dreams and goals - it requires the same desire and sacrifice, when I started running again, 20 minutes of running seemed so hard and an eternity, but running is great because with the effort one usually gets a basic payoff.

Go Pathfinders Go!

Laurel said...

It is wonderful to be able to share something you love with soomeone you love! I hope your wife sticks with it and keeps enjoying it.