Thursday, August 21, 2008

X-C run

08/20/08
Wednesday

Went to pineland to run the 5K course. I signed up for the Pathfiders race which I missed last year because of the accident. I decided to run close to race pace to get the feel for the hills and the toughness of the course.

The pathfinders race is reverse of how I usually run this course and I actually think I like it in reverse better. All the hills end up in the middle instead of the end. Though the biggest 9% grade is worse this way.

I felt pretty winded and my legs were dead. I knew I was close to race pace as I wanted to quit in the worst way...especially in mile two.... and my heart rate was up there.

Splits seemed to match my feeling, 8:50, 9:55 (long 9% hill), 8:34 and a kick of 7:36. My heart rate averaged 153 and peaked at 168 (on the hill) 165 at the end kick.

Though I was a little dissapointed when I saw my time compared to my effort, I feel the workout went well.. My overall time was 27:52 which is about 8:59 pace. I had hoped for more like 8:30 pace ...but it is what it is.

Most of my races on this course range from 24 minutes to 26 minutes so I guess I am not far off considering I wasn't actually racing. I ran a mile cooldown which felt like I just finished a 20 mile race...very tired.... Only swam a few laps when I got home...the water felt good but the air was quite chilly.

No comments: