Monday, January 3, 2011

First (or last) snow shoe of the year

Picked up my new snow shoes Friday and decided to give them a try. I am not sure if I should call it my first snow shoe of the year or the last (as it was Dec 31st).

The weather couldn't have been nicer and the trails were already well packed on the power lines. The first thing I noticed about these new snow shoes was the flex when landing on uneven ground (much better than my old aluminum frame shoes)

The second thing was the smaller lighter composite frame is much more runner friendly. Though I fatigued very quickly, it was no where near as bad as the old heavier ones.

The durability could be a factor with these shoes, but with the amount of running and racing (well not racing so much as running at races)I will be doing, I don't suspect it will present a problem.

I am so glad I got out Friday as the warm weekend pretty much killed our snow cover.
Saturday I decided to hit Back bay which was not all that pleasant ....Oh the weather was great, but the trail was soggy, wet and muddy which would be fine for trails but difficult not to splash others.

Sunday was football day, we went to the Stadium in Portland and watched all the games that we could. The beer, the wings and the company was good and the games were great. Most of our favorite teams won.

I ended 2010 with 1010 miles which did not beat last years total of 1140 but still was more miles than any previous year. I am hoping to step things up a bit in 2011 as I start training for a possible 50 miler at Pineland.

I say possible 50 miler because I have a busy spring and at this point can not predict whether I will get the training in I need for that distance. Right now I am planning it and as the event gets closer I will critique the distance.

The last thing I want is half ass training turning into a half ass finish...or worse..no finish!

2 comments:

sn0m8n said...

What kind of snowshoes did you get?

Sparkplug said...

Cool that you're snowshoe running! Sounds like a good way to run through the winter.