Wednesday, July 8, 2009

What Is Not Fun About Running Bradbury In The Rain?



07/07/09
Tuesday

Well it was track night and honestly I could not force myself to run around the track in the heavy rain. Somethings just suck in this kind of weather and a track workout is one of them.

As I watched the rain barrel out of the sky, I was hit with the vision of the Bradbury Scuffle last summer. The weather sucked....the race was excellent! It got me thinking about the Scuffle this weekend. I suspect it will probably rain. I base that on the Law of Averages....let me see 22 days of rain in the last 25 days....yeah it might rain Sunday.

Now I hate to miss a chance on some well needed sprint workouts, especially with the B to B coming up in a few weeks, but Bradbury East in the rain and mud at a somewhat race pace is a great substitute.

In the beginning I was looking for a core workout and used the dodging of puddles, mud and branches for the legs and core. It is a great way to work in plyometrics and my legs can attest to that this morning.

After a couple miles my focus changed to speed more than core, plus the fact that my feet were completely soaked anyway, I paid very little attention to the puddles and stomped right through them. There is something from my childhood that surfaces when pounding through puddles and mud......kind of a tranquil feeling.

It's funny, once you accept and embrace the rain, it no longer proves to be a hinderance and actually helps me as I run cooler. The one thing it doesn't do in the muddy woods is cleanse......boy was I muddy!

After the 4 plus mile run, I walk/jogged up Bradbury mountain and gained a vision of mostly fog at the summit. I then ran a cooldown for about a mile back to the parking lot. I guess it wasn't really a cooldown as I ran pretty fast and utilized a decent kick at the end. How could I not with the force of gravity pulling me down the hill.

After this run, I am looking forward to the Scuffle race this weekend. I just hope I don't end up with schedule problems. It seems to be a struggle this year, I have had many unforseen and quick changes with my time management.

4.5 miles trail @ 44:54 (9.28 pace)
Splits:
10:19
9:43
8:54
8:46
8:12 (decent kick)
.4 mile hill climbing (walk/jog)
1 mile cooldown/really too fast for a cooldown run (10:01 pace)

4 comments:

Olive Tree said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

middle.professor said...

Have a good scuffle this weekend. Bummer that I won't be there to enjoy the fun.

Blaine Moore said...

Kevin -

I'll be rooting for you to make it. As you well know, the Scuffle is a lot of fun!

Looks like a good day to be out at Bradbury; yesterday was my first day off from running in over a month so I didn't get to go out and play in the rain.

Unknown said...

"I paid very little attention to the puddles and stomped right through them. There is something from my childhood that surfaces when pounding through puddles and mud......kind of a tranquil feeling".

-That's why I am a "Trail Mudder"