Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Sugar Coated DNF

  As more Time passes since Stone Cat 2012, the feeling of cop-out has become much stronger .  Though I rationalized my finish there to be a grand  marathon PR, the truth is that it was also my first real DNF.

 I have been known to rave about how there is no quit in me, yet on that day, I did consciously quit and it is not a good feeling to contend with. I am happy with my marathon time but at the same time accept the DNF for the 50 miler.

 It is easy a month later to look back and "feel" like I could have and should have continued. Perhaps I could have gone longer and probably should have continued until they stopped me but I didn't and that shows a lack of heart and conviction on my part.

Physically, I probably did the right thing and perhaps if I hadn't, I would feel the ramification of it in the start of the new 2013 season. What it all boils down to is, I didn't have it in me to finish a 50 miler.

This only means I have to change my training and mindset this year and hopefully find the means to  accomplish my goal.

 On the running side of things, I did get in a fairly long run Saturday. the first 5 (road)miles went very well and like the last run I felt no rustiness from the short layoff, the last 3 miles I ran on trails. The last mile of the five my left ITB acted up a little but not concerning, about halfway through the trail portion, it got very aggravated.

I don't know if it was the trails or the distance that brought it on but decided after to make sure I go into this season very slow and careful so not to jeopardize my plans.

8 mile run @1:11:15 (average 8:54 pace)

first 5.15 miles 44:17 @ 8:36 pace  with progressive negative splits
final 2.9 miles  26:58 @9:18 pace with positive splits and left knee pain.

No comments: